Sunday, April 12, 2009

My white horse is in the stable....

... right where it belongs!

So I went to a sexual assault conference and they spent several sessions on giving tips how to engage men in the fight against violence against women. As a man who has joined the movement to fight against gender violence there is something that happens that bothers me. As a man... I do half the work and get twice the glory. I give a valiant speech and get so much praise. I stand around at events and find myself being acknowledged for just being a guy.. and being there! In this fight I refuse to stand on the sidelines but also refused to be acknowledged any more for just being a male. Yes its an honor to be involved but more than an honor its my duty. Its my passion. Its only right!! Any man who sits back and just watches as this movement walks by is one of the offenders himself! I was always taught... Silence is approval.. and since I DONT approve of rape I wont be sitting down. Since I DONT approve of sexual violence I wont be chillin' out saying "Im staying out of it" Since I DONT approve of oppression against women you wont find me thinking I am any more than anyone else! There is no phrase that is more true... "There is no doubt our society has some form of contempt and hatred for women and children. There is no way we could treat and condone the how women and children are treated in our society and not have some form of hatred for them."- Robert Jensen

Famous femanist Andrea Dwrokin said this.. "Men who want to support women in our struggle for freedom and justice should understand that it is not terrifically important to us that they learn to cry; it is important to us that they stop the crimes of violence against us."

So as I see this awful control and violence in our society it wont be my job to cry or be sad or walk in a pair of high heels and have some laughs. It will be my job fight. Fight the selfishness of sick, twisted, controlling men. My job to stand up against the oppression of women and stand up say something.

So if your man enough join the fight to be HUMAN. Its no longer about gender its about equality! And for the women who fight everyday for equality. I commend you. I stand with you. And support you. Someday it WILL end.

I love blogging.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow. What a great post. I was at a blog today and the girl is a social worker. She has all these social workers blogs linked on her site. Yours is one of them. I came over to say hi! I also LOVE social work. It is my passion. Hope your evening is wonderful and thanks again for writing this. Blogging is such a great outlet, isn't it?

Unknown said...

HI, I'd just like to say THANK YOU! I'm majoring in sociology to become a social worker. My final consisted of a first hand account of the career in action. I used your blog ( I cited you of course) and I recieved an A on it! Even reading the things you deal with on a daily basis, this is what I was made to do. ( I would be a lawyer but they can be a bit too sneaky at times) So THANK YOU for this blog it greatly prepares me for whats ahead about 4 years from now!