Wednesday, July 21, 2010

opportunities.

So I've jumped right into my new job working with kids in foster care. Today I was informed of the seat belt regulations and how much a kid needs to weigh before he/she can ride without a car seat... so needless to say I was cruising down the road with a booster in the back seat. As I drove I thought again how great my jobs have been to work with kids who need good role models. I had never had a booster seat in the back... normally I am handing out belts to saggy jeans, blaring music I don't necessarily enjoy, or trying to hide my pack of gum from the pack of wolves jammed in my car.

Today I felt a new sense of responsibility... a five year old. I thought about how amazed I was to be doing this job and how bad I felt for a five year old to be taken from his/her home. I thought of all the things I worry about as an adult don't even touch the surface of being taken from your parents, siblings, and home. Here I am. Raised by amazing parents, taught in great schools, and educated by loving teachers, friends, and co-workers. Now I have the opportunity to help him in his life. WOW.

We chatted about the weather. He named my car the Silver Sponge because if I keep it clean I could sell it for 100 45 60 9 thousand dollars. He told a co-worker, after burping in her face, that he heard that when a boy burps in a girls face that means he likes her. Then he said... see you Tuesday!

I love my job.

3 comments:

Kthrilla Mom said...

YOU were destined to do this job!! You will move mountains - one rock at a time!! We miss you, but will see you again!
Love ya like a son!! "Mom"

Unknown said...

This touched me. Not only this post, all of them. I decided to randomly type into Google about social work and somehow stumbled upon your blog. You have such a big heart, and you truely inspire me. I have been looking for what I want to do with my life, and I feel this has pointed me to what I should be doing. Thank you.

busyman said...

Emily,

Thanks for the comment! Keep searching for exactly what you want to do and know that working with people and for people is such a privilege. I am happy to hear you have found what you want to do. Always keep an open mind and remember if you give of yourself your clients will see that and you will be able to help them even more!